radioBS.net
Chronicling the ongoing battle between conservative and liberal ideals

For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them - Proverbs 1:32



E-mail Me |About Me |Home Page |Comment Rules |Ref Desk

Daily Notes :I Moved to MT.

In fact this page will automatically send you to my new page in 4 minutes. Or go there now...Radio Brian Scott


2/29/2004


A Christian's review of The Passion of the Christ

4.5 out of 5 stars

Initial reaction:
Horrified and happy.

Review as a Christian:
If you watched the movie you probably are wondering why I would be happy at all to see this film. As a born again Christian I had a completely different perspective while watching the movie. In fact I believe my perspective was different than most I suppose.

While watching the movie I was given the chance to go back in time and watch the very thing I always wanted to. Weird right? Please understand, the crucifixion and resurrection is the bedrock of a believer's faith. We didn't ask for him to die for our sins, yet he did. That makes me happy. No not just happy, but filled with joy. I was constantly aware that while he was being killed from the Garden to the Golgotha, I was getting closer and closer to uninterrupted communion with God the father. No need for a priest, no need for bloody animal sacrifices any longer. Christ, the Lamb of God died once for ALL, to bring us all into communion with God the father. That makes me very happy. This movie was a vivid reminder of that fact.

I was disgusted at the way they treated my savior. I have often wondered even before this film, if given the ability to go back in time, would I have helped him along the Via Dolorosa, and unto the cross? You bet I would. Of course while helping him I would be singing his praises and letting him know how much I loved him for what he was doing. I did my studying on what crusifixion was before that film and other than nail placement, they did a really good job depicting it.

My heart jumped (while crying) when his mother went to him along the Via Dolorosa, and Jesus said to her that he would make all things new. Wow! I wanted to stand up and scream Yeah!!!!! I immediately thought to myself: HERO. The best one you and I could ever imitate now or ever. Never once did he try and keep himself from his appointed task.

At the end of the film I wanted to stand up and sing “Oh victory in Jesus my savior forever”. But I didn't. I should have. Remember during the film when he said that we (Christians) shouldn't be afraid of persecution?

It's not a stretch to guess that I really thought the movie was excellent. The characters were familiar to me, but I know they wouldn't be to an unbeliever. My only hope is that by watching the film, it will make those that don't believe investigate the life of Christ and his claims. I know this will for a lot of people. Here are a few books that are really easy and fun (yes I said fun) to read about the claims of Christ and what it means to have faith.

If you would like to ask me any questions as to why I'm a believer go ahead and ask away. I've done my studying so throw em out there in the comment field.

Or if you don't want to ask me anything this might be a good place to go: CARM.org

As I post this The Passion has reached 117,538,000 in box office sales.

Read the experience my friend Dan had.

I was at the movie with Brian. If I had to describe the movie in one word I would have to say 'overwhelming'. I have been raised in a Christian home all my life. I have read the gospels and the accounts of the crucifixion thousands of times. I have heard of the brutality of scourging and crucifixion. But I really didn't get it until I saw this movie.

First I have to apologize to Brian. I was so overwhelmed at the end of the movie that I wasn't able to talk about it yet. I certainly hope that it wasn't taken wrong Brian and please convey my apologies to your wife as well.

From the very beginning of the film where it shows the agony of Jesus as He contemplates the suffering He is about to endure over the next several hours, I was filled with the most deepest sense of worth. To think that Jesus knowingly went into this to save all mankind from eternal death. My wife had an excellent insight as we were driving home. She said (while choking back tears) "To think that if I was the only one in the world, He still would have done it." Wow, I'm still in shock at the great sacrifice made just for me.

This film has renewed a sense of value and purpose in my life. I fall into the group of lifelong Christians that just seem to go along in life and not take your faith seriously. In viewing the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus paid for me, I have to ask myself what can I do for Him? Compared to His sacrifice anything I can do would be a drop in the bucket I realize, but I need to do it none the less.

The ultimate goal in my life needs to be to become as 'Christ-like' as I can be. I know that I will always fall short no matter what I do, but I must make the effort.

I believe this is a film that every believer needs to see. I will not try and give a review of it. It may not affect you the same as it did for me. You need to experience this film for yourself and get from it what you will.

My hope is that many unbelievers will also have the chance to see this film and at least become curious about the sacrifice made for them as well. Maybe they can come to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

I have to thank Mel Gibson for the courage to make this film. I believe that it will show the Hollywood crowd that there is a deep longing in America and elsewhere for films such as this. Where the events of the Bible are accurately depicted, and not twisted to serve an agenda.

Please see this film for yourselves and glean from it what you will. I truly believe that it will alter your way of thinking.

Update: 04/21/04 - I think this song does a good job of explaining things.

How Deep The Father's Love For Us.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross.
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life -
I know that it is finished.

I will no boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His desth and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have pain my ransom.

posted by: Brian Scott


Get the code for this blogroll.  visit The Blue S tate Conservatives